Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Double serendipity

Hello everyone! It's been some days I don't come here. But Here I am.

I wish someone could have told me at least that my little poem is awful... :D But it seems to me that almost nobody comes here yet. I'll make an effort to make this change.(I don't know how :D )

Well, a few months ago my father saw a 2001 movie called Serendipity and liked it (click on the poster to see more info about it). I didn't watch it yet, but the soundtrack is good. Someday I'll watch it. What got my attention, though was the name of the movie.

I didn't know the word. Not that I know so many English words, but it is not so common to have uncommon words in movie titles. I can remember that I searched the meaning of it at the time, but if someone asked me early morning yesterday, I could have not told. I completely forgot the meaning of the word.

Tonight I was navigating, posting some comments in other blogs and just browsing around when I found out the word serendipity in a site that explains the meanings of the words. What a luck. And I was not even looking for it. Happened to me what happened to Alexander Fleming to discover that the penicillin is an antibacterial. "He was merely cleaning up his laboratory when he discovered that the Penicillium mould had contaminated one of his old experiments" (Answers.com).

But what you don't know yet that, Serendipity means exactly this: "making fortunate discoveries by accident". Isn't that incredible? To learn the meaning of a word by experiencing what the world really means. It is like understanding what milk is, by seeing it coming out of the animal and drinking it. No words are needed to explain. Just the feeling, just the idea. No words, no confusion. Simply communication.

Ah, by the way, "this word has been voted as one of the ten English words that were hardest to translate in June 2004 by a British translation company" informs Answers.com.

What a serendipity!

Have a great day!

No comments: