Sunday, April 03, 2005

Curt Schilling, red sock, and Red Sox

Boston Red Sox: Information From Answers.com

I'm not a big fan of Baseball. Where I come from we don't have baseball. Brazil's main sport is Soccer.

However, I think America won a new fan last season. I think I'm a lucky guy. Before this year, I have been in the U.S. three other times. My first was back in 1996, with my father. We spent near a week between New York and Miami. My secont trip was in 2002 to visit my brother that lives here since 1998 (I think). This second time I was here for 17 days. And the last time was last year (2004), again to visit my brother. I came to stay for two months, but stayed for five and a half. I thank God for many things that happened that period.

And one of them was that I knew the story of the Red Sox and the famous "Curse of the Bambino". But, the most important, was that I saw here they break the curse. For the ones who don't know, the "Curse" was a period of time when the Red Sox didn't win the "World Series" (the final games between the champions of two leagues of Baseball here in the US) since 1918. 86 years without winning a championship. Bostonians were completely crazy, and still are, because of this curse. But now it is over. And today (04/03/05) a new season begins.

Watching the final games last year against the Yankees (their biggest adversary) I could see why Americans love so much this sport. It is not the most entertaining evento of the world, but it has its magic. Last year, at least for me, one of the highlights of the finals was Curt Schilling, Sox's pitcher. Even with his hurt ankle (see picture of his red blooded sock during one of the games), he played to win and won the game for the Sox. Some of the other great players that won the title are: Jason Varitek, Pedro Martinez, David Ortiz, Johnny Damon, and Bill Mueller, among others.

86 years without winning a title. And I was here to see it. Last friday I bought a Red Sox cap to prepare for the next season. I won't be able to go to the games, but once in a while I'll watch some of them on tv.

Today the game is against the Yankees again. I don't have a good feeling about it, because they are playing at Yankees Stadium, but it will be a party anyway.

Go Sox. And don't make Bostonians wait another 86 years to win another title.

No comments: